Tuesday 27 October 2009

Cookbook challenge, week 10, day 3 - Get It Ripe


This week's cookbook challenge is Get It Ripe by jae steele, who I linked to in my last post (I think). I picked out far too many recipes to try, since I actually only have room in my menu plan for one or two more recipes from this book (apart from desserts). But I'll see how much I can get done. I meant to do this one yesterday, but I forgot to marinate my tofu in time, and I didn't want to wait an hour for it. Also, I don't think I had all the ingredients for it anyway.

So, tonight's dinner was Sesame Kale Soba with Asian Marinated Tofu (from V'con)

It was a bit wiggly getting it into the bowl, which is why it looks untidy.

I used a combination of green and purple kale, and I shallow fried the tofu in sesame oil because I felt that just kale and noodles wouldn't be substantial enough. Other than that, leaving off 1 tbsp of sesame oil, and forgetting the sesame seeds, I didn't make any alterations. This was really, really good and quite filling. And so quick! Ignoring the tofu (technically you could buy marinated tofu), this took about 15 minutes, maybe 20 with the kale cleaning. This is a great recipe for busy evenings, as long as you have all the ingredients (which is actually not as easy as it sounds, since I can usually only find kale once a week, at the Farmers' Market). And there were enough leftovers to have something for Mike to take for his lunch tomorrow.

I'll definitely keep this in mind the next time I need a quick meal and have kale that needs to be used up. But I think I'll try to remember the sesame seeds next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment