Thursday 18 October 2012

Vegan MoFo VI, Day 18 - Cookbook Challenge - Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day!

I got around to cooking today - yaay!

This week's cookbook challenge book is Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day! by Tami Noyes and Celine Steen.  I actually bought this book because of the challenge, which kinda defeats the purpose (in that you're meant to get use out of books you already own).  But I'm super excited to make some stuff from it, so I'm glad I bought it.

Tonight we had a friend over for dinner, so I needed to make something that was quick and easy but also suitable for serving to a guest.  I chose the Chickpea Shawarma, mostly because it didn't require making any breads or mock meats before making the rest of the recipe.

This was exactly what I was looking for - it was super easy to make, and I managed to get the sauce made while the chickpeas cooked.  I doubled the chickpeas because I figured the guys would have seconds and I could save some for my lunch the next day.  We had them as wraps because it just seemed easier, and I served them with some roasted cauliflower, which complemented the chickpeas perfectly.

I really liked the way these turned out.  I think it would be a great way to recreate chicken shawarma (which I've never actually had) if you subbed the chickpeas with chicken-style seitan (possibly the No Cluck Cutlets from the book).  This was a great recipe to start with, and I'm looking forward to making more!

No comments:

Post a Comment