Sunday 15 September 2013

Southern Saturday on Sunday - Grits, Hush Puppies, and ... Hummus?

I have a totally legit excuse for missing out yesterday's entry.  We were at our friends' place playing a game called Civilisation, which seems to never end.  I mean, there is an end point, but after about 12 hours worth of play (with a break for dinner), we still weren't anywhere near the end when we decided to give up because everyone was exhausted.  By the time we got back, all I could do was make a cup of tea and go to bed.

I made the Garlicky Black-Eyed Pea Hummus to take to the game.  It took about 10 minutes to make, and it was delicious.  It obviously looked a bit different from regular hummus, but it didn't taste very different.  I think that was because the only difference was the type of bean used.  I would highly recommend this, and I definitely see myself making this again.  No pic because grey hummus.

I did two recipes today.  The first was the Cheesy Tempeh Bacon Grits.  I didn't have any tempeh to make bacon, so I used store-bought bacon bits.  This recipe was also fairly quick and easy.  I've only had proper grits once, and these were a bit different, probably because I don't have access to grits grits, just coarse ground cornmeal (for polenta).  I ended up having to add a lot more liquid to the recipe to keep them from sticking before they were done.  Regardless, they were awesome - creamy, cheesy (without adding the optional shredded cheese), salty, and wonderful.  I would totally make these again.  In fact, I might make them again next weekend.


I also made the Hush Puppy Corn Muffins.  For some reason, I thought I was gonna have a hard time finding creamed corn here, and if I did find it, it would be in the American section.  But not only did I find it easily, I got it in the regular tinned veg section.  These would've come together really quickly if I hadn't cut my onion wrong.  But I did, so they took a while (because of the mincing).  But they were worth the effort.  I thought they would be good, but I never expected they would actually taste like hush puppies.  They're so close to one of those deep-fried balls of goodness, and probably contain a lot less fat.  Yet again, I would absolutely make these again.  They're amazing.

So, that's three wins in two days with this cookbook.  Next weekend we're having friends over for dinner on Saturday, so I'll make quite a bit (I hope) from Cookin' Crunk.  I bought some stuff to make at the weekend and didn't get a chance, so I might have a Southern Monday (and/or Tuesday) post this week as well.  I hope y'all don't mind, because I freaking love this book and want to try everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment